Neighbourhood - Buildings

Former St. Lawrence Sugar



History

The St. Lawrence Sugar Refining Company, an extension of the Decastro refinery, was originally located near the Lachine Canal. After it burned to the ground in 1887, the owner, Alfred Baumgarten, was attracted to Maisonneuve by twenty-year tax exemptions and the promise of a right of way for a railway line. He had a large cane sugar refinery built - the first factory in the City of Maisonneuve, now a Montreal neighbourhood.

Located on either side of Notre Dame Street, the operation reached its peak in 1906, when it was Canada's leading refinery, surpassing the Redpath (then known as the Canada Sugar Refining Company) in Pointe Saint Charles. It even boasted a railroad service line to Sutherland Quay, built to meet the company's needs in 1889. Expanded in 1910, 1920, and 1950, the refinery closed temporarily during World War II.

It was purchased by Lantic Sugar in 1980.

Image : HM_ARC_004271

St. Lawrence Sugar Refinery, Montreal
Wm. Notman & Son
1911
25 cm x 20 cm
© McCord Museum, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004272

St. Lawrence Sugar Refinery, Montreal
Wm. Notman & Son
Circa 1912
14 cm x 10 cm
© McCord Museum, © Héritage Montréal