Neighbourhood - Buildings

Former St. Lawrence Sugar



Achitecture

The sugar refinery's rust brick building once had a gable roof. Today, the complex consists of a number of rectangular plants to which have been added some more recent buildings. The wood structure dating from the beginning of Montreal's industrial age has been altered, as have the wood floors and the 12” diameter columns of steel and wood. The existing building is of steel with a concrete floor. The cooperage - the oldest building - includes several elements typical of industrial architecture of the late 19th century: a steam boiler room with its tall chimney, flat roofs, brick patterns on the building's crown, the company's lettering on the walls. Lag bolts between the small, narrow windows on each floor hold the walls firmly in place. At one time, in addition to the cooperage, the complex included a sugar house, a filter house, a refinery, and a coal house.

Image : HM_ARC_004274

St. Lawrence Sugar Refineries, Montreal
Wm. Notman & Son
1917
25 cm x 20 cm
© McCord Museum, © Héritage Montréal