Neighbourhood - Buildings

Saint Ambroise Church



History

The Saint-Ambroise Catholic parish was formed in 1923 when the Saint-Édouard parish, which had been created in the 19th century, was divided. The parish hired architect Ernest Cormier to design the Saint-Ambroise Church. Funds were limited and therefore the church was constructed in several phases. As a result, the church was not yet complete when it was inaugurated in 1925. The rectory was added in 1927, and the organ was installed in 1936.

Over time, both the interior and exterior of the building were gradually enlarged and renovated, but there was never enough money to complete Cormier's original plans. In the mid 1990s, funds from the sale of the land behind the church were used to put the finishing touches on the nave, but plans to complete the church were abandoned. Along with the rectory and the Anthelme-Verreau and Saint-Ambroise schools, the church is an important neighbourhood institution.

It still plays an active role in community life through its many associations and parish activities.

Image : HM_ARC_004495

Église Saint-Ambroise

©Fondation du patrimoine religieux du Québec, ©Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004502

View of the altar, Église Saint-Ambroise

©Fondation du patrimoine religieux du Québec, ©Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005034

View of Saint-Ambroise church in construction, Montreal, Quebec
1924
25.2 cm x 19.9 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005035

View of Saint-Ambroise, Montreal, Quebec
1926
8.8 cm x 14 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005093

View of Saint-Ambroise presbytery and church, Montreal, Quebec
Circa 1930
24.1 cm x 19 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal