Neighbourhood - Commemorative and public art

Edward VII


Project

This monument portraying King Edward VII is the result of a Canada-wide public subscription and a national competition, held in 1910. The project was initiated by Montrealers like Lord Shaughnessy, Sir William Peterson and Bishop Farthing.

An accomplished master of the commemorative genre, the artist Louis-Philippe Hébert surpassed himself in creating the monument to Edward VII. The representation of the king with crown, sceptre and ermine mantle expresses all the nobility and supreme dignity of the royal function. In accordance with classical tradition, the pedestal is surrounded by four allegorical figures symbolizing the king's great conciliatory qualities: in front, a seated woman holding an olive branch symbolizes Peace through Strength; behind, an angel with wings spread stands for the Genius of Liberty; to the right, Goodwill among Men evokes Canada's four dominant nationalities at the time (English, French, Scottish and Irish); and to the left, Abundance represents agriculture, industry and education.

The installation of the monument to Edward VII necessitated a major overhaul of Phillips Square. It is said that upon its unveiling on October 1, 1914, by the Duke of Connaught, governor general of Canada and brother of Edward VII, the Canadian national anthem was sung in both English and French for the first time.

Image : HM_ARC_001958

The King Edward Statue, Phillips Square

8.6 cm x 13.6 cm
© Dinu Bumbaru, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005258

King Edward Monument, Phillips Square

8.5 cm x 13.6 cm
© Dinu Bumbaru, © Héritage Montréal