Neighbourhood - Buildings

École La Visitation



History

When the former Montréal Catholic School Commission (now the Commission scolaire de Montréal) assumed responsibility for the schools on a portion of the island, the Frères de Saint-Gabriel relinquished the school in the Parish of Sault-au-Récollet, which they had been responsible for since 1892 and which bore the name of their community until 1922. The school commission constructed a larger building, École La Visitation. When it opened in 1931, boys and girls each had their own section of the building, where the classes included home economics and manual training. Today, École La Visitation is a coeducational school that is managed by the CSDM and still offers grades one through six to almost 300 pupils.

Image : HM_ARC_002517

Photographs of the initial staff of École La Visitation
1931
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier 163-01-01-1, Archives SHSAR), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002006

École La Visitation, hallway

17.5 cm x 11.2 cm
© Archives CSDM, no 198, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002004

Recess room, École La Visitation

17.5 cm x 11.2 cm
© Archives CSDM, no 198, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_001979

Staff and students, École La Visitation
1930
15.5 cm x 10.5 cm
© Frères de Saint-Gabriel, © Héritage Montréal