Neighbourhood - Buildings

Église La Visitation



History

A few years after the parish was founded, the priest Guillaume Chambon from the fabrique of the parish of the Visitation de la Bonne Vierge Marie had a church erected to replace the Chapel of Fort Lorette, which had been built by the Sulpicians late in the 17th century but had become outdated. On the bank of the Rivière des Prairies, the church was inaugurated in 1752. From 1764 to 1836, talented artists decorated the interior.

To accommodate ever-larger numbers of parishioners, the nave of the church was enlarged with two case bays and a new façade in the mid-19th century. The bell towers were added in about 1870.

Today, framed by a rectory and the sexton's house, both built in 1883, as well as a parish hall, the Église de la Visitation is one of the most exquisite churches of its kind still in use.

Image : HM_ARC_002518

Église La Visitation and country scene

17.7 cm x 22.8 cm
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier 163-01-01-1, Archives SHSAR), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002525

Église La Visitation and the sacristan's house
1926
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier 163-01-01-2, Archives SHSAR), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002505

Église La Visitation (with the presbytery and sacristan's house), Sault-au-Récollet
1975
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier rue 17-09-05-02 R3089(1829 à 1847), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002507

La Visitation Presbytery
1975
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier rue 17-09-05-02 R3089(1829 à 1847), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002526

Église La Visitation, interior
1926
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier 163-01-01-2, Archives SHSAR), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004930

Interior, Église de la Visitation
Brian Merrett
1989-1990
6 cm x 6 cm
© Brian Merrett, www.archiguides.com, réf.013X, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004472

Église La Visitation de la Bienheureuse Vierge Marie, facade

©Fondation du patrimoine religieux du Québec, ©Héritage Montréal