Neighbourhood - Buildings

Moulins de l'île de la Visitation



History

Simon Sicard built a dike and a sawmill for the Sulpicians on the Rivière des Prairies in 1726. The dike controlled the rapids between the island and the bank to supply power to the mills. A total of five mills were used for various purposes, some of them as late as 1970: a grain mill, a flour mill, a sawmill, a nail mill, a carding mill and a brown-paper mill belonging to various owners, including Pascal Persillier-Lachapelle, the Back River Power Mill and Milmont Fibreboards Limited. The industry provided work for the villagers in addition to producing useful items of all kinds.

The Montréal Urban Community (MUC) acquired the site in 1981 and demolished most of the buildings, keeping only some remains of the mills, the dike and the Maison du Meunier Oberlander, built on the foundations of the first flour mill.

To enhance awareness of the industrial complex, the MUC created the Site des Moulins in 1998 to show the technologies used by water-powered mills and to draw attention to the site's architecture and history. Cité Historia, a non-profit organization, offers workshops and other activities on site.

Image : HM_ARC_002219

Aerial view of the windmills at Sault-au-Récollet
Around 1925
© Ville de Montréal. Gestion de documents et archives (163-06-04-1), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002223

Windmills at Sault-au-Récollet
Circa 1925
© Ville de Montréal. Gestion de documents et archives (164-01-01-2), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002137

Aerial view of Des Moulins watermill
Circa 1975
3.5 cm x 2.4 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002132

Windmill (before restoration)

15 cm x 10.2 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002131

Windmill (after restoration)

15 cm x 10.2 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002139

Ruins of Des Moulins watermill

2.4 cm x 3.5 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002124

Ruins of Des Moulins watermill

17.7 cm x 13.2 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002125

Ruins of Des Moulins watermill

13.2 cm x 17.7 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002128

Remains of Des Moulins watermill

15 cm x 10.2 cm
© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002080

Du Meunier House

25.3 cm x 20.1 cm
© Fonds Cité Historia, Musée d'histoire de Sault-au-Récollet, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002684

Parc-Nature de l’Île-de-la-Visitation, near the windmill ruins

© Ville de Montréal, SDCQMVDE, Direction des grands parcs et de la nature en ville (DM5 9541-000 #122 975), © Héritage Montréal