Neighbourhood - Buildings

Royal Victoria Hospital



Achitecture

London-based architect Henry Saxon Snell adapted elements of Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary for the design of the Royal Victoria Hospital, circa 1891. With a U-shaped floor plan and two symmetrical wings enclosing external courtyards, the initial building, which opened in 1894, is like a fabulous Scottish castle. Multiple pitched roofs originally in slate, stone decorations wrought-iron solariums, passage¬ways and underground tunnels enhance the Scottish baronial effect. More than 200 labourers, 200 masons and 80 carpenters worked on the original building.

Over the next half-century, several other buildings were added, including the nurses' residence, designed by the famous architects Edward and William S. Maxwell, as well as the Ross Memorial Pavilion and the Royal Victoria Montreal Women's Pavilion, by architects Stevens and Lee. The architects made an effort to ensure the buildings were designed to form a coherent whole. Pavilions added after 1945 adopt a more modernist style, most notably the Medical and Surgical wings.

Image : HM_ARC_001133

"Royal Victoria Hospital" ("Canadian Architect and Builder", vol. 3, 1890, Issue 12, Plate 1a)
1890

Image : HM_ARC_001359

"The Ross Memorial Institute of the Royal Victoria Hospital"

© McGill University Archives, (PR023728), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_001356

"The Nurse's Home, Exterior"

© McGill University Archives, (PU023718), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_001354

"Inaugural Dinner of the Royal Victoria Hospital Fund Raising Campaign"

© McGill University Archives, (PR023872), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_001363

"Women Students"

© McGill University Archives, (PR001048), © Héritage Montréal