Neighbourhood - Buildings

Redpath Museum



Achitecture

Built between 1880 and 1882 to plans by architects Alexander Cowper Hutchison and A. D. Steele, Redpath Museum is a romanticized example of the Classical Revival style. It is a remarkable amalgamation of ancient and modern forms from both European and North American sources.

The harmoniously proportioned three-storey building of grey Montreal limestone stands between Redpath Library and the Arts Building. The portico of Redpath Museum is almost disproportionately elevated. Floral motifs adorn the perimeter of the main entrance hall. The back section has a coffered ceiling and a skylight rounded into a hemicycle. Richly carved butternut woodwork heightens the warm atmosphere. The exhibition spaces are huge, as some objects in the collection are of imposing size. Over the years, the building's structure has not been altered, but minor changes have been made to improve lighting, ventilation and the layout of research and exhibition spaces.

Image : HM_ARC_001406

"Exterior view: Redpath Museum"

24.5 cm x 18.5 cm
© McGill University Archives, (PR002681), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_001398

"Interior view: Postcard of the Redpath Museum"

12.5 cm x 8 cm
© McGill University Archives, (PU010189), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_001399

Laboratoire du conservateur

© McGill University Archives, (PL001271), © Héritage Montréal