Neighbourhood - Buildings

St. James United Church



Protection action

Throughout the 20th century, both interior and exterior elements were renovated, including the steeple, facade, ceilings, bell towers. However, no extensive modifications were made to the church.

Classified as a historic monument by the Ministry of Culture and Communications of Quebec on February 15, 1980, the church was also designated a National Historic Site in 1996 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It is also a municipal heritage site.

In 2001, the St. James Development Project chose the contractor L. M. Sauvé to restore the church. Groupe Cardinal Hardy was hired to oversee the removal of the 1926 storefronts and the restoration of the façade and to design the public square. Claude Cormier was in charge of the landscape architecture.