Neighbourhood - Buildings

Institut des Sourdes-Muettes



Builders

Père Joseph Michaud
1822 - 1902

Father Joseph Michaud, of the Saint-Viateur Order, was born in Kamouraska. He studied at Collège de Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière from 1838 to1848 before joining the Joliette branch of the Clercs de Saint-Viateur in 1848. He was a professor at Collège de Joliette and also served as the principal of Collège de Rigaud. Michaud was the architect of the Gothic chapel at Collège de Chambly (1855, plans executed 1853), the first part of Collège de Rigaud (1856) and Collège de Joliette (1874). That same year he drew the plans for the Joliette Public Market Hall. He is best known for his 1870 design of Montreal's Cathedral. In 1875, in collaboration with Victor Bourgeau and Alcibiade Leprohon, Michaud began supervision of the construction of this edifice, on what is now René-Lévesque Boulevard.