Neighbourhood - Buildings

Former Dominion Bridge



History

The Dominion Bridge Company, founded in Toronto in 1879 under the name Toronto Bridge Company, moved to Lachine in 1883 to manufacture iron and steel superstructures for bridges and buildings. Attracted by the vast expanses of low-cost land along the canal, the company was directly linked to Lachine's development. It gradually expanded its complex, buying more land and adding a machine shop in 1897, then making more additions between 1925 and 1935. A major employer in Lachine, Dominion Bridge built numerous skyscrapers and bridges across Canada, including the Reversing Falls railway bridge in Saint John, New Brunswick, and the bridge between Kanahwake and Lachine. The company and its subsidiary, Davie Industries, went bankrupt in 1998, and, following the concerted efforts and protests of the unions, the assets were bought by the Group ADF Inc. and the FTQ Solidarity Fund. In 2003, the ADF threatened to close down the facilities, which were then bought by Cintube, a former partner of Dominion Bridge specialized in the precision bending of tubes, pipes, beams, and channels.

Image : HM_ARC_005100

Bird-eye view, Lachine and the Dominion Bridge site

© Library and Archives Canada, McCarthy Aero Services Ltd. / PA-30760, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005126

Dominion Bridge, interior view of main workshop from south end
Alexander Henderson
Circa 1880
© Library and Archives Canada, Alexander Henderson / PA-117223, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004141

Publication of Dominion Bridge showing the Superstructure of Mtl Harbour Bridge
1930
© Rare Books and Special Collections Division, McGill University Library, © Héritage Montréal