Neighbourhood - Buildings

Saint-George's Anglican church



History

In 1763, Montreal's oldest Protestant community began holding services in various locations. In 1843, it established a church on Notre Dame Street to serve the city's west end. A second Protestant church, the existing St. George's Church in downtown Montreal, was designed by architect William Tutin Thomas and opened its doors in 1870. Its congregation was composed primarily of working- and middle-class people and quickly became very active. In fact, it participated in the founding of the first YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) in North America.

In the late 19th century, the church was completed by a stone tower and presbytery. In the 1930s, the Anglican population began to move away from the downtown core, but the dispersed congregation continued to attend the church, and the interior was renovated.

Now surrounded by towering office buildings, St. George's is the only one of the five Protestant Churches built around Dominion Square (now Dorchester Square) built in the 19th century that is still standing and used for its original purpose. The parish includes several Anglican churches, including St. Jude's Church and the Church of the Advent.

Image : HM_ARC_002078

Saint-George's Anglican Church before the construction of the tower

16.7 cm x 12 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002071

Saint-George's Anglican Church

18.5 cm x 11.9 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002047

Saint-George's Anglican Church in winter

27.6 cm x 35 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002051

Wedding of Louise Boulter to Walter Meigs, Saint-George's Anglican Church
1903-1904
23.4 cm x 18.8 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002054

Saint-George's Anglican Church

8.9 cm x 14 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002070

Saint-George's Anglican Church with caleches

22.2 cm x 17.8 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_002074

Saint-George's Anglican Church and Windsor Station
1997
12.6 cm x 8.9 cm
© Saint-George's Anglican Church, © Héritage Montréal