Neighbourhood - Buildings

Saint-Arsène School



History

In 1902, the former town of Amherst Park founded a primary school in a small red-brick building on Christophe-Colomb Avenue. Between 1908 and 1967, the Sisters of Sainte- Anne served as teachers at the school, which had been renamed Saint-Arsène. In 1923, the original school was replaced by a new building with a residence for the nuns. At the time, Saint-Arsène School was known as the Northern University because of both the size of the building (1200 students) and the quality of the education provided. Moreover, its architect, Ernest Cormier, had also designed the Université de Montréal at around the same time. As student numbers continued to increase, an additional floor was added in 1931. After the departure of the Sisters in 1967, secular teachers supplied by the Montreal Catholic School Board (CECM) took over the teaching duties.

Over the years, the type and level of education varied and overlapped: mixed primary (1902-1920), girls' primary (1910-1967), upper primary (1943-1957), as well as welcoming classes for immigrants (1979 - 2001).

Annexed to the CECM (now the CSDM) since 1915, the school now offers primary teaching to more than 300 neighbourhood children. It also has an early childhood centre and a day care centre in addition to being involved with community life.

Image : HM_ARC_002458

École Saint-Arsène before the addition of the 4th floor
1923
© Ville de Montréal, Gestion de documents et archives (Dossier rue, 17-09-06-01 R-3105.2), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005021


1931 or later
12.5 cm x 9.7 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005083

Interior view of a class room, Saint-Arsène school, Montreal, Quebec
S.J. Hayward
Circa 1925
24 cm x 18.5 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005085

Interior view of the recreation room, Saint-Arsène school, Montreal, Quebec
S.J. Hayward
Circa 1925
23.9 cm x 18 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_005086

Interior view of a gallery, Saint-Arsène school, Montreal, Quebec
S.J. Hayward
Circa 1925
24.1 cm x 18.5 cm
© Fonds Ernest Cormier / Canadian Centre for Architecture, © Héritage Montréal