Neighbourhood - Commemorative and public art

Commemorative Plaque


Project

From 1845 to 1992, the federal government owned a 32-acre parcel of land east of Calixa-Lavallée Street, part of La Fontaine Park. During the first decades of government ownership, the site was used for military exercises. Circa 1888, a 99-year lease was granted to the city of Montreal for the symbolic amount of $1 per year. The green space became one of the city's most beautiful parks.

On the occasion of the 350th anniversary of the founding of Montreal, at a military ceremony held at the Fusiliers Mont-Royal Barracks of the Canadian Armed Forces on Pine Avenue, the federal government signed a Deed of Assignment of Land.

Named in honour of Sir Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine, this park is one of the city's most popular.