Neighbourhood - Commemorative and public art

Sir Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine


Project

In 1901, the municipal administration changed the name of Logan Park to La Fontaine Park, in honour of the great Canadian statesman, Sir Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine. At the time the Société Saint-Jean Baptiste organized a public fundraising campaign to erect a monument to this defender of the rights and freedoms of French-Canadians. While the foundation stone was laid with much enthusiasm on June 25, 1909, it was only after a $10,000 contribution from the Quebec government in 1929 that the monument could be completed. It was unveiled in 1930.

Sculptor Henri Hébert based the design of this statue on one of La Fontaine he had created a decade earlier for the façade of the Quebec Parliament Building. The artist conveys La Fontaine's imposing presence by portraying him in a Napoleonic stance, dressed in the robes of the Chief Justice of the Court of Queen's Bench, a post La Fontaine held for the last ten years of his life. Three bas-reliefs inlaid in the pedestal, allegorical representations of Liberty, Courage and Legislation, symbolize the statesman's character and political achievements. Following the aesthetic tastes of the era, Hébert decorated the pedestal with an array of Art Deco motifs (including fountains, in a play on his subject's name).

Image : HM_ARC_001001

Monument à Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine, angle sud-ouest
M. Dumais


Image : HM_ARC_001002

Monument à Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine, angle nord-est