Neighbourhood - Commemorative and public art

Commemorative Plaque


Inscriptions

LA FONTAINE PARK

1845-1992

A PLACE DEVOTED TO RELAXATION AND LEISURE,

A HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL SITE, LA FONTAINE PARK

HAS ALWAYS HELD A SPECIAL PLACE IN THE HEARTS

OF MONTREALERS. IN 1845, THE GOVERNMENT OF THE

UNITED PROVINCE OF CANADA PURCHASED A FARM FROM

THE LOGAN FAMILY FOR USE AS A TRAINING AREA.

BEGINNING IN 1874, THE CITY OF MONTREAL ACQUIRED PARTS

OF THE PROPERTY AND CREATED ONE OF ITS MOST BEAUTIFUL PARKS,

AS A HOMAGE TO SIR LOUIS HIPPOLYTE LA FONTAINE.

ON MAY 27, 1992, IN HONOUR OF MONTREAL'S 350TH

ANNIVERSARY, THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA

TRANSFERRED THE 31 ACRES THAT REMAINED FEDERAL

PROPERTY TO THE CITY OF MONTREAL. IN THE NAME OF THE

PEOPLE OF MONTREAL, MAYOR JEAN DORÉ PLEDGED TO

THE HONOURABLE MARCEL MASSE, MINISTER OF

NATIONAL DEFENCE, THAT THE PARK WOULD BE

MAINTAINED IN RECREATIONAL USE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.