Ahuntsic Bridge


History

Maybe you've heard of the Des Roches, Viau and Ahuntsic bridges? Well they are actually all one and the same bridge! The story goes back to 1847, when members of the clergy and citizens living on Île Jésus decided to build a wooden toll bridge over the Rivière des Prairies. It was named for Pierre Viau, a partner in the project and a farmer in Saint-Vincent-de-Paul, now the City of Laval.

The wooden bridge was demolished in 1887 and replaced with a steel structure. After being acquired by the City of Montreal, the bridge was rebuilt in 1929. This time, it was constructed of reinforced concrete and called the Des Roches Bridge, after the Chairman of the Executive Committee of the City of Montreal. One year later, it officially became the Ahuntsic Bridge, named for its location on the Montreal side. But old habits die hard, and even today users refer to it as the Viau Bridge.

Image : HM_ARC_004599

Entrance to the new Viau Bridge, Ahuntsic

© Ville de Montréal. Gestion de documents et archives (VM94-D780,1 (2)), © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004598

Ahuntsic Bridge (Viau) seen through the trees

© Ville de Montréal. Gestion de documents et archives (VM94-D780,1 (1)), © Héritage Montréal