Papineau-Leblanc Bridge


History

The population of Île Jésus was growing by leaps and bounds. The town of Duvernay was pressuring the various governments, and succeeded: a new bridge would be built between Île Jésus and the island of Montreal. The work was completed in a mere 45 weeks! Begun in August 1968, the bridge was officially opened on October 21, 1969, beating all Canadian records for the construction of this type of bridge.

The Papineau-Leblanc Bridge honours the memory of two historical figures: Joseph Papineau (1752-1841), surveyor, notary, seigneurial agent and politician, and Alpha Leblanc (1908-1962), a well-to-do Île-Jésus (today's Laval) market gardener.

Image : HM_ARC_003232

The Papineau-Leblanc Bridge

© Transports Québec © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_003226

Aerial view of the Papineau-Leblanc Bridge

© Transports Québec © Héritage Montréal

Image : HM_ARC_004910

Papineau-Leblanc bridge from Visitation island
Carlos Pineda

© Direction des bibliothèques, Université de Montréal, © Héritage Montréal